This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Summer Reading Perhaps? ( #IWSG )

 

Didn't think my quirky computer would let me post this month, but just at the last minute it decided to come back to life.  I think it's playing around with me....


The Insecure Writer's Support Group


Join us on the first Wednesday of each month in Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group--a forum of writers who gather to talk about writing and the writer's life. For a complete list of participants visit Alex's Blog


The co-hosts for the August 4 posting of the IWSG are PK Hrezo, Cathrina Constantine, PJ Colando, Kim Lajevardi, and Sandra Cox!



August 4 question - What is your favorite writing craft book? Think of a book that every time you read it you learn something or you are inspired to write or try the new technique. And why?


          I have so many good writing craft books that I've read and probably more that I haven't. It's been years since I read a writing book and that was Ray Bradbury's Zen in the Art of Writing.  I seem to recall enjoying it, but now that I've got this one on my mind I'm going to add it to the books I'll be taking with me on our upcoming summer cross country road trip.

        Yes, I'm going to take a chance on travel in these times of COVID stupidity.  I hope the rest of the country has more sense about it than my state of California.  I'm looking forward to getting out of L.A. and retreating to something simpler and more peaceful in East Tennessee.

       I can see me now sitting beside the Little River in the Smokey Mountains reading that Ray Bradbury book again.  Maybe I'll learn something new or inspiring.  Maybe I'll even start writing again.  Mostly though I want to enjoy being with my family.  
  
        Hope you are having a wonderful summer.  Stay safe.  Stay well,  Stay sane.  And avoid the nonsense.  








17 comments:

  1. Get out of your crazy state and go enjoy family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a safe and healthy trip. I'm risking it by going to a wedding next week. All will be vaccinated, but still...

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have the best time visiting your family and rereading Zen in the Art of Writing.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful time in Tennessee, sounds very relaxing! I haven't read Zen and the Art of Writing, but I'm definitely going to add that one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have fun with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your computer troubles. Mine is acting up as well, with a frequently running loud fan.

    Enjoy your summer holiday with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to envision you in a nice covid-friendly, un-enclosed convertible. Have a good vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy travels, Arlee! I've been meaning to read Bradbury's "Zen in the Art of Writing." I wrote it on my growing list so I won't forget. Stay healthy and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being with family is healing on all levels. Why didn't I know Zen in the Art of Writing was written by Bradbuy. Will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great time visitng family, I still have problems with blogger writing a new post but xan recieve the people I follow.
    Keep safe and well
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your trip. Be careful. Some people are so crazy about masking and social distancing. Protect yourself. And have fun reading those craft books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Little river sounds like the perfect place to relax and read. I haven't read the Ray Bradbury book. But now I think I will ;-)
    Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look like Tennessee has 3000 cases right now with less than half fully vaxxed.
    "Tennessee
    Gov. Bill Lee did not impose a statewide mandate and in late April issued an executive order barring local mask orders in the 89 counties in which public health policies are directed by the state. The six counties with independent health departments — Davidson, Hamilton, Knox, Madison, Shelby and Sullivan — have all lifted local face-covering orders. " -- https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2020/states-mask-mandates-coronavirus.html
    There's also https://www.littler.com/publication-press/publication/facing-your-face-mask-duties-list-statewide-orders

    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just stopping in again.
      I had a productive month reading for a read-a-thon, writing a few book reviews, checking in with hospitalized family members, and writing a WEP flash fiction.
      Have you seen the notebook on the current (Aug 25) giveaway at Operation Awesome? That is some amazing custom art. Debut authors are always surprising me.
      I'm ready for the summer heat to be over. 🥵

      Delete
  14. Avoid the nonsense- kind of difficult these days...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! That's a great recommendation, I've never read that one!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee