This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Saturday, August 22, 2020

Surprise My Heart Again! ( #BOTB Results )



           What was I thinking in this previous Battle?    Well, looking back, my aim was to see if anyone else could hear a similarity between two songs.  My expectation was that the currently popular artist Finneas singing in English would be the predominate favorite.  I projected that outcome way wrong.  Finneas captured a few votes while Gianluca Grignani ran away with the rest including my own.  His song ranks high on my list of favorite songs.

           As to the similarity between the two songs, the question was unaddressed by most who left a comment.  However there were some good observations:

I hear an "emotional similarity" but not a musical one.  said  Sixgun McItchyfinger
   
"As for the song being similar, to quote Billie Eilish, "Duh." They are basically carbon copies of each other, in some ways. But I doubt either artist has heard the other. In one, I hear "Where Do You Go To My Lovely" as sung by the late Peter Sarstedt. But hey, that's just me." so commented Myke Todd

So I checked out "Where Do You Go to My Lovely" to see if I agreed about the similarity.  I can hear it.  Now does anyone know if there is some kind of special musical term to describe this sort of thing?  Just wondering...

Battle of the Bands Results





Final Vote Tally

Finneas                          3

Gianluca Grignani        12


Next Battle on the First of September

      Wait can that be right?  Where has this year gone so quickly?  Where is it going next?










8 comments:

  1. I picked the winner..... again.
    Look forward to the next BOTB.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, you've had a good record for picking the winners of late.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Lee,

    WOW, what a decisive victory for Gianluca Grignani! Congrats!! Thanks for sharing the outcome, my friend. Have a blessed day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I really thought the votes would be the other way around. I really miscalled that one! But my pick won!

      Lee

      Delete
  3. You got lucky and sneaked away avoiding a shutout this time, LEE. I don't know if you've ever had a shutout, but I was watching the voting and, for the longest time, thinking that you had one in the making.

    >>... Where has this year gone so quickly?

    Are you serious? 2020 - the year that just won't end? With all the shuttered businesses, social distancing and mask-wearing bullshit, this year already feels like it's been hanging around forever.

    Not that I think 2021 is going to be any better. In fact, it'll likely be worse. I suspect we've seen our last good year until about 2029 when You-Know-Who returns as promised.

    God willing, see ya at the September 1st Battles.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, I can't recall if I've ever had a shutout. Seems like I've had at least one, but my memory ain't what it used to be. Heck, I can't even remember if my memory ever was like it used to be.

      I'm still hoping 2029 comes soon--very soon.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Maybe psychoacoustics would describe it? That's a branch of psychophysics, and related to musical neuroscience.

    I wish 2020 could have a do-over! Someone suggested time travel really is possible because people keep coming back to try to fix 2020, but every time do something that makes it even worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie-Anne, I've never encountered the term psychoacoustics, but that might be somewhere in the realm of what I'm thinking. Not surprised that you would come up with this. Good call.

      I had been so optimistic about 2020 last year. I never dreamed that this year would get so strange and void of much in the way of logic.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee