This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Friday, April 24, 2020

Unlimited Mileage ( #AtoZChallenge )


Unlimited mileage is something I always look for if I rent a car because I like to be able to drive a lot. Rarely do I rent a car, but I prefer to drive my own so I can drive the heck out of it...




     Unlimited Mileage

          Unless I'm flying somewhere I rarely rent a vehicle and if I do rent then I don't want to be worrying about how many miles I put on that vehicle.  Of course, "unlimited mileage" really does have it's limits--usually time.  Only so far one can drive in an allotted amount of time. 

           When I was touring with a show back in the eighties I always traded in my vans before they reached 200,000 miles.  Since we averaged about 50,000 miles a year I wanted to be sure that I had a vehicle that was at optimal performance.  At the end of every three years or so I'd trade my van for a brand new one.  The company was paying all of my vehicle expenses as well as the vehicles themselves so it all worked to my favor.   Also the minimal repairs were good for the company expense as well.

           Unlimited mileage sounds nice, but it is also a bit of a misnomer.  Not only are we restricted by time, but also by wear and tear.  We often hear folks saying they wish they had their younger bodies.  It would be great I agree.  To have a body with "unlimited mileage"--to stay young, healthy, and unstoppable is a fantasy that I think most of us share.  Too bad it's not that way.

            Not in this world at least.  We can all expect that similar outcome, death, which will come in a variety of ways for the lot of us.  There's an end of the road in this life.  After that I'll be looking for unlimited mileage in my next journey.  I'm looking forward to that.

            How many miles do you typically put on your vehicle on a yearly basis?   What is the most miles you've ever put on a vehicle before getting a new one?   Would you like to live forever?











8 comments:

  1. It would be a lie I guess to say I'm not interested in immortality. Looks tempting. And that's all about fear to what is next. What are we once we are dead? Ok, I will take the life forever... ;)
    U is for Unique Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. To quote the movie Highlander, who wants to live forever?
    I put the average of 12,000 or less on my vehicle every year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't put that many miles on the car, only about 5000 miles a year. Mary's comfort zone is about 3 miles from home, and she does all the driving.

    I bought a Honda Accord in 1992 and we donated it in 2013 with about 130000 miles on it. It was still in good shape, but we weren't driving it much, and it needed some work. That was the longest we had a car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be so nice to have "unlimited mileage" physically!

    Some rental car companies, although they advertise "unlimited mileage" they limit the states you can drive in... usually just the adjoining states. So we can drive unlimited miles within a limited distance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not havong a car I don't have that concern Lee. But I certainly did unlimited air travel miles years ago.
    Take care.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a Honda Civic that had close to 200,000 miles on it when we sold it to my nephew who put more on it. I don't think I'd like to live forever but I'm certainly not ready to go now.

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can wait on that 'unlimited mileage' for that next life, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Live forever would mean watching my loves one die so not for me

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee