This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Which One Was The One? ( #BOTB Results )

   You probably remember "Where's Waldo"--well that's what you might have been wondering about Arlee of late.  Damn internet!  My area was caught up in some outage that lasted 3 or 4 days.  What?  Who'd ever thought someone in Los Angeles would lose their internet?  You'd think such things couldn't happen in our modern era...



        "I Know a Place" in "Downtown" Toronto that is a wonderful old theater dating back to 1907.  It's in an old district where "Round Every Corner" there are discoveries to be made.  At present there is the return of a Canadian penned musical that is currently also running on Broadway.  I suppose it's "A Sign of the Times" that this musical is running now, but back in 1985 I had a "Happy Heart" when I found out that my teenage crush Petula Clark was going to be performing...




I Remember That Old Song!

         A few years ago on one of my cross country trips while I was passing somewhere through west Texas in the middle of a bright summer day an old familiar song came through the satellite radio.  The song sounded familiar, but not quite like I had remembered it.  The announcer identified the artist as an old favorite of mine--Petula Clark.

           Clark had captured my teenage heart when I first saw her on the Ed Sullivan TV variety show.  Already familiar with her hit "Downtown" I wanted to see what she looked like.  I thought she was lovely even though she was 20 years older than me. Besides, I always kind of liked women older than me. 
 
          As years went by I would sometimes hear Petula Clark's songs, but not often.  And I was listening to so much other music.  Still I was pleasantly surprised when in April of 1985, our touring show on Easter break in Toronto Canada, I discovered that Petula Clark was headlining a vaudeville style revue at the Royal Alexandra Theater.  Since my wife and I took every opportunity to see concerts when we were off, I was excited not only to see my "old flame" (she would have been in her fifties then and I in my thirties), but also an array of variety acts including a juggler. 

           It was a fine show as I recall, but I don't really recall much.  Mostly I remember the theater and the precipitous balcony seats we were seated in.  It was a grand place and a fine time was had by all.  So much for my memory of that.  But at least I can say that I did get to see and hear Petula Clark in person.  I guess the juggler was pretty good too...


Battle of the Bands Results




        In my recent Battle using the Petula Clark penned song "You're the One" I purposely wanted to use comparable videos taken from pop music shows partly because they both had go-go dancers and they captured a flavor of that era.  This decision may have been detrimental to Ms. Clark.  If you listen to the version that was released on record (found here)  you might see what I'm getting at.  One factor in the videos I used is that Petula Clark's version is an actual live version whereas The Vogues are lip syncing to their hit recording which most of us were more likely familiar with in the first place.

      Until I heard Petula's version on the radio in recent years I didn't even realize she had co-written the song let alone recorded the original version.  I've got to admit that the Vogues vocals and harmonies are mighty enticing--it's a good version and deserves the hit status that it retains in pop music history.  That makes for a tough choice for me.  My vote doesn't affect much of anything in this rather mismatched contest, but I'm going to go with Pet.  After all, she's an old heartthrob of mine. Besides, I think her dancers had more grace and class.  Not to say I didn't like the other dancers.  They were just fine...



Final Vote Tally

Petula Clark          3

The Vogues         13


Next Battle of the Bands on Sunday December 15
       
          God willing and my internet continue running.



           


  





5 comments:

  1. "Dancers"...

    If those were dancers, then I guess I really CAN dance after all. Color me 'Very Surprised!'

    And I still think they were the same... uhm... "dancers" in both videos. As Steven Crowder would say: "Change My mind".

    ~ D-FensDogG
    STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening to the radio is what kept me sane when I moved from Long Island to Toledo (hicksville to me) when I was fifteen, and Petula Clark's 'Downtown' helped me feel like I was still back in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Petula Clark was also part of my teen years! Such great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this tilt. Both sides. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee