This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Every Success Starts with a Dream ( #IWSG )

     ONCE upon a time I dreamed that something would happen in my future.  And it did happen, though maybe not quite like I dreamed it, but still it happened to some extent and that was a good thing.  The even better thing is that this happened more than once in my life...




The Insecure Writer's Support Group

Join us on the first Wednesday of each month in Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group--a forum of writers who gather to talk about writing and the writer's life. For a complete list of participants visit Alex's Blog




The co-hosts for the December 4 posting of the IWSG are Tonja Drecker, Beverly Stowe McClure, Nicki Elson, Fundy Blue, and Tyrean Martinson!


December 4 question - Let's play a game. Imagine. Role-play. How would you describe your future writer self, your life and what it looks and feels like if you were living the dream? Or if you are already there, what does it look and feel like? Tell the rest of us. What would you change or improve?



Never Too Old to Dream

           No expectations.  That's what I've learned in my life.  Sure, I still go into experiences with certain expectations, but as I get older I've tried more to go with the flow of my life and not build up expectations that are shattered once I've realized that things often don't turn out like I thought or even hoped they would.  An expectation can be a set-up for disappointment and sadness.

            Dreams are fine when fueling internal conversations and forays into imaginations, but dreams are never attained by just dreaming them.  Dreams can conceivably come true in some cases with no action, but something like writing requires doing something about it.  And just writing alone doesn't mean success until that writing gets into the hands of someone who can do something with it or one takes the personal initiative to self-publish or take whatever action works.  But as is usually the case, we have to figure out what works best for us and what our definition of success is.

         Life is filled with surprises good and bad.  What we do with the unexpected in our lives has everything to do with how happy and fulfilled we are.  Persistence may not always lead to winning, but to keep on pushing forward will get us further than we can ever get by just sitting at home filled with hopes and dreams.

         As far as writing dreams for me are concerned, I'm much further along now than I ever got some fifty or so years ago when I was in passionate pursuit of writing.  Through the years those pursuits ebbed and waned while never particularly flowing.  Blogging has helped since it's given me an easy creative outlet for my word expression, but I'd still like to see something more come of my writing in the future.  Not that I'm making many efforts to that pursuit.  If something comes as a result of my actions then fine.   I'm likely not visualizing to a great enough extent to chase down that writing dream and definitely not writing like I should be.  Still, I'm okay with that.  When the feeling overpowers me to write, then I'll write and if I don't write then I'll do something else.  Just so I'm doing something that calms my restless spirit.

         When the right dreams come then I guess I'll know.  Or at least I'll be on an adventure and adventures can last a lifetime.  I'm not sure how much longer that life will be, but in a way it doesn't matter.  The present is what matters most because now is all we really know and even that knowledge can be tenuous and filled with questions.

         Tomorrow will have its way as we pass from day to day...

         Are you a careful planner or do you enjoy rafting along the river of life?   Has the fulfillment of a dream ever taken you by surprise?   Where would you like to be in ten years?



        If you haven't voted in my Battle of the Bands yet then please drop by to vote on your favorite song version.

       







27 comments:

  1. The present is what matters. Such a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liza, the present keeps me occupied for the most part other than when I'm getting ready for the future or thinking back on the past.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on no expectations from life. I can only control what I do.

    Great post.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, much of the time I can't even totally control what I do, but I'd like to think that I'm in charge.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. What we do with the unexpected in our lives has everything to do with how happy and fulfilled we are - that is so profound.
    There are still many options for you to be published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, yeah, there are so so many options, but I've been rather lazy in regard to writing of late.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. Hi Lee,
    We’re on the same thought-stream in terms of rafting through life’s adventures ;-) I like it better that way too. It’s not enough to plan to write; we must also be inspired.
    I’m always surprised when dreams come true. It’s like grasping that golden goal that seemed so out of reach. Often the chase itself is a thrill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diedre, I think I'm fortunate to be a prolific dreamer. There are always more options if one dream doesn't pan out.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Sometimes just doing it because you want to is the best. No pressure then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L.Diane, better that than the counter, but sometimes I've done things I didn't particularly enjoy and still tried to make the best of them.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. I once told my niece that adults can make their dreams come true. You should have seen her face. hehehe

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, we are dream scientists who can make amazing things happen when we discover the right formulas.

      Lee

      Delete
  7. Dreams can be such little rascals. Sometimes, they're everything we hoped for...more often, not quite. And yet, dreaming and working toward them is so wonderful. I'm a rafter who paddles when necessary to avoid a rock or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TD, life is never perfect, but sometimes I can delude myself.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Too right, the present is all we really have, and our memories. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, and sometimes I question my memories--or at least try to remember them.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. I love your outlook on success and dreams. It reminds me of the equation:

    Reality - Expectation = Happiness

    If the reality of what happens is greater than the expectations going into it, you'll find more happiness. I try to keep my expectations low, even though that sounds bad, and most times I'm pretty happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loni, usually when I have big expectations, I end up with big disappointments.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Yes, like Tolle, I live in ‘the now’ too, especially at my age 🤗 Wishing you a happy holiday and a successful new decade 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lost, age can have a lot to do with where we exist most. Though, I have always been pretty much a now person.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. I look at myself and realize that "living the dream" would lead me to self-destruction. And I do that enough in micro-amounts already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, well, we wouldn't want to see anyone self-destruct, but I can relate to the micro-dosing.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. Writing to calm a restless spirit resonates with me - I often call writing my therapy, and when I don't have a story I'm working on, I'm discombobulated. Your writing and activities in the blogosphere have had a positive impact on MANY writers, Oh Emporer of A to Z! Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicki, thank you for your words of encouragement! Yes, writing can be a great therapeutic exercise.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. Hi Arlee. Inspiring philosophy, Carpe Diem. May you keep striving to write your dreams into existence.
    Merry Christmas and Jolly Jumping Battle of the Bands. Ho, ho, ho !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan B, I don't plan to ever give up--at least not easily.

      Lee

      Delete
  14. Your words, "The present is what matters most because now is all we really know and even that knowledge can be tenuous and filled with questions" encourage me. In my retirement, I can't make great plans or dream an amazing future. I have to be satisfied with all the adventures I've had and enjoy life day by day.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee