This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

I'm Always Chasing Rainbows (#BOTB)


It's often the little things that bring us the biggest joys in life.   On the other hand, little things can sometimes turn into one big pain in the ass...

Update on My Song


          Obviously the title of this post indicates that I won't be presenting a debut of the song I wrote earlier this year in this current post.  My plan had been to use two different versions of my song "Let's Run" as a Battle of the Bands.  So far I still have only one version and one "maybe, I'll see if I can come up with something." 

         This past week-end I came up with a wacky idea that just might work to create another "Let's Run" video to use in a future batte (September 1st?)   It's going to be a variation on an old school idea I used many years ago to record some original songs.  That experiment worked, but not so well.

         This time I have more and better equipment to work with so maybe, just maybe, I can create something interesting.  If it works I'll explain the process.  I'll start working on it this week.  It's somewhat labor intensive so I'll have to see where it all goes.  I'm probably totally on my own in this next experiment.

           In a way that's been the story of my life.  Maybe yours too.  Not everyone sees the urgency of my dreams to the extent that I do.  But that makes sense.  We are all dreamers pursuing sometimes elusive butterflies of our own.  We just have to keep on chasing down our dreams.  In fact, that's what my song is all about:  Don't give up and just keep pressing onward.  That's how things get done.

          Still, I figure that I'm always chasing rainbows and I'll probably keep on doing it.  I'd hate to think that I'd ever stop as long as I have breath.   And that is my lead in to the song I've chosen for this post...




Battle of the Bands

Battle of the Bands is the blogging event started by Far Away Series and now hosted by StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands.   This event happens each month on the 15th and on some blogs there is also a Battle on the 1st of the month.  My blog is one of those with a second Battle on the 1st of the month.   The premise is simple:  Listen to the songs presented below and then in the comments vote for your favorite and tell us why you liked it.  Then visit the links listed near the bottom of this post for more Battle action.



I'm Always Chasing Rainbows

          This is one of those vaudevillian standards that I've heard all my life.  Though I wouldn't rank this high on my list of favorite songs, it's still a pleasant enough tune that I enjoy hearing.  You've most likely heard this song since it has appeared numerous times in movies, television, and recordings.

          "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows" was published in 1917 and since then there has been no looking back.    The song is about failure so it's somewhat surprising that a song with such a depressing message would gain so much popularity.   However, since failure is something in which all of us have shared at some point in our lives then it is an idea to which we can all relate.

           Like a number of popular songs of the past, this song has roots in classical music-- Fantaisie-Impromptu by Frédéric Chopin.   In the video embedded below you can go to the 1:07 mark to hear the melody that later became the hit song.  Don't vote on this version--but I guarantee you that at least someone will ignore this instruction.   If you're interested then please take a listen.




        And now on to the first Battle contestant...

Jane Olivor  "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows" (1977)

          The first time I heard Olivor's version of this was somewhere around 1985.  Our touring show had a brief layover in Seattle during which I visited a number of people's homes.  In all of the homes I saw a copy of Jane Olivor's album Chasing Rainbows .   Since I'd never heard of Jane Olivor I figured this was some kind of pop cult artist whom I'd missed.  Still, I bought a few of her albums on cassette.  It was nice music, but I didn't listen to them very much.   The music is not good for driving.  Good for bedtime, not for driving.  Enjoy...
           





Alice Cooper  "Chasing Rainbows"  (1976)

           Most anyone who was over 13 by 1969 probably saw an Alice Cooper show at some point in their lives.  If you haven't then they are still on tour and perhaps playing in a town near you.  I saw the show (I think of it all as more of a stage production than an actual band) in the early seventies.  That concert was something like seven dollars to see Alice, The Hello People with Todd Rundgren, and Free (of "All Night Long" fame).   Big concerts really were bargains back then.

            I couldn't resist using Cooper's version of "Chasing Rainbows."    Don't let the schmaltzy song intro fool you.  This is Alice Cooper...







Time to Vote!

       
Take a break from chasing rainbows and let's vote.    What's your favorite between these two choices? Which song version do you like best? You don't have to know about music to have an opinion since it all comes down to your own personal taste.

         Please vote on your favorite by letting us know your choice in the comment section and tell us why you prefer the version you chose. Then after you've finished here, please visit the other blogs listed below who may or may not be participating this time around. And if you've put up your own BOTB contest let us know that as well so we can vote on yours.


Here are some other places where you might find BOTB posts:

 StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

  'MIKE'S RAMBLINGS'

'Curious as a Cathy'

Sound of One Hand Typing

Angel's Bark  


Debbie Doglady's Den

Jingle, Jangle, Jungle 





Winner of this Battle Announced on Wednesday August 22

         Maybe I'll have a song update for "Let's Run"--I'm shooting for September 1st now.  In any case we should have a clear winner of this Battle next Wednesday.   I have a feeling I'll get a lot of commenters saying they don't like either version.   Then again maybe I'll be surprised this time.

          Have you gone to any Alice Cooper concerts?   Do you have a tendency to pursue wild-seeming fantasies?   Do you dwell on past failures more than the many small successes along the way?








37 comments:

  1. Lee,

    What an interesting battle! Classical piano to bedtime to booming. Jane's rendition is very lovely, very soothing, and as you pointed out definitely an excellent cover to help one fall to sleep but it's morning and I need to wake up! Alice's sentimental beginning I rather liked and found quite interesting. I had the speakers turned up a bit too much when the mewsic changed. You guessed, I nearly jumped out my chair but I had to smile. I thought Alice's version is not only unique but the best of the two. Maybe, he just got me awake this morning. I don't know but I'm giving Alice Cooper my vote!

    Now for your questions...

    Have you gone to any Alice Cooper concerts? Nope, I've never to one of his concerts. I really didn't understand back in the day that his whole stage persona was just a big act. I did/do like some of his older mewsic but not the super heavy stuff. He really have evolved a lot from his early years. I, especially like know that the man proclaims his faith in Christ.

    Do you have a tendency to pursue wild-seeming fantasies? Hmmm, no but I do dream big. I guess I'm to practical. :)

    Do you dwell on past failures more than the many small successes along the way? I used to think about my mistakes more than seeing the good things in my life but that's human. We all are guilty of focusing on our past failures more than we should at times.

    Best of luck for bringing together your song "Let's Run". I did tell Marie from XmasDolly about it so she could let her hubby know. She appreciated it but said he had to put his mewsic on the back burner while he was job hunting and now there's a lot going on with her health. Have fun experimenting and if you get a second, please come by to vote in my my latest BoTB!
    ~Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, the big show concerts were usually my favorite in arenas. You had something to look at as well as hear and that made the event more fun.

      I'm still keeping up a hope that someone might pull through with a cover for me. In meantime I'm working on something that might be rather strange, but it might just work.

      An opening vote for Alice Cooper.

      Lee

      Delete
  2. Hi Lee hope all is better now.
    This song is a favourite of mine ( I used to be able to play the Fantasy Impromptu on the piano as a child). I also like the Neil Sedaka version of the song but out of the two you chose I choose Jane's version. Thanks for a wonderful song choice.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, this is a beautiful melody probably better served by a mellow performance.

      A vote for Jane Olivor.

      Lee

      Delete
  3. I hope you're able to get that second version recorded.
    No surprise but my vote goes to Alice Cooper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I've been working on the second version this morning off and on. Mostly for now I'm trying to figure out my equipment and set up.

      An expected vote for Alice Cooper.

      Lee

      Delete
  4. If I had any sort of musical talent, I'd offer to help record something for your battle, but even my children wince when I try to sing. I look forward to what you come up with, though.

    My vote goes to Alice Cooper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I'm hoping not too many will wince at my vocals (yes, I'm vocalizing in at least one version).

      A vote for Alice Cooper.

      Lee

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to maybe September 1st!

    My vote goes to Alice Cooper. It's a delightfully off-kilter take on the song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry, looking forward is better overall than looking backward, although I do enjoying remembering the past.

      A vote for Alice Cooper.

      Lee

      Delete
  6. It's too bad the plans for your song haven't come to fruition yet, but I guess patience is the key. Here's hoping! As for the battle, you're right about Jane Olivor's version - way too sleepy for my taste. Plus, I'm a huge Alice Cooper fan, so of course, that's where my vote is going. ☺ I've always wanted to see him perform, but every time he came here in the past, it didn't work out. FINALLY, in 2016 we saw him with The Hollywood Vampires (Alice, Johnny Depp, Joe Perry) and loved the show. Then, last Sept. we saw Alice again with his own band, in a triple bill with Edgar Winter and Deep Purple. I felt his set was way too short and wanted more! He's one helluva great entertainer and I will hopefully get another chance to see him before he retires. No point dwelling on failures; just "keep on truckin", as they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, Cooper and his team put on an excellent show. But his recordings have been pretty good too.

      A vote for Alice Cooper.

      Lee

      Delete
    2. Yes! And his last album, PARANORMAL, is excellent! Best thing he's done in years.

      Delete
  7. Lee

    It seems you've had a series of setbacks lately. I sure hope you don't let them get you down or keep you down. Looking forward to hearing your song and it's versions.

    Have you gone to any Alice Cooper concerts? No. But I have spent many a night with Alice Cooper. I really enjoy his nightly radio show.

    Do you have a tendency to pursue wild-seeming fantasies? If we're talking about the pursuit of love - then absolutely! Although, lately, I've decided I'm tired of running. I'm just gonna sit here and let this one catch me on the next lap... around that track!

    Do you dwell on past failures more than the many small successes along the way? Some days, yes. But it's good to remember the small successes as well and not let the failures describe us.

    For this battle, I thought both versions were good, but because I have a deeper connection with Alice Cooper, that is where I am casting my vote.

    Hope you are feeling better.

    ~Mary
    Jingle Jangle Jungle


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I've been feeling much better though some snags have not been totally resolved. But life does go on so no point getting hung up for too long.

      A vote for Alice Cooper.

      Lee

      Delete
  8. Alice Cooper in one intelligent dude with a vast knowledge of all forms of music but I prefer Jane Olivor for her dream-like style of singing. I was never much into his singing style which is typical of me. Never give up because the success that is even sweeter once you have accomplished your task. It will be fun listening to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit, Alice (or Vincent) has not only a good musical sense, but understands the theatrics needed for a stage show. I totally get what you're saying.

      A vote for Jane Olivor.

      Lee

      Delete
  9. Jane Olivor gets my vote, just not feeling it with Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I guess Alice isn't rocking your world tonight.

      A vote for Jane Olivor.

      Lee

      Delete
  10. Hi Lee,
    I know all about chasing rainbows. There's been one elusive dream I've been chasing for a lifetime and at this point I doubt I'll ever catch it. But others I have managed to catch and I'm sure you will catch yours and that your song project will turn out even better than imagined. Keep pushin'. In fact that song by REO Speedwagon, "Keep Pushin", is one of my GoTo songs when I'm feeling defeated. Give it a listen. It might light that flicker into a flame for ya.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhUeL_G91dg

    As for your battle, I can totally see how Jane Olivor's music isn't good for driving. I'd fall asleep at the first red light I'd come to with that playing. So that's a definite no vote there.
    Which brings me to Alice Cooper. This should be no surprise to you that I'm casting my vote with AC. Have always loved his music and I've learned more about him in recent years that make me like him all the more.

    Keep chasin' the dream Lee. You'll catch it!

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, there will likely always be dreams I'll be chasing as new ones keep coming. If we're not dreaming then we must be brain dead.

      A vote for Alice Cooper.

      Lee

      Delete
  11. I truly wish I could help you with that song project, LEE. I definitely would if I could. I hope you figure out a way to put it together because I am sincerely curious to hear it.

    This Battle... Hmmm.... Hate to say it but this isn't really my kind of song and neither version really does anything for me. As a person, I like Alice Cooper quite a bit. (I remember how shocked I was many years ago to learn that he'd become a Christian. Good on him!) But I'm not crazy about much of his music, including this recording, with its abrupt ending.

    I guess I'll vote for JANE. It's not something I'd be interested in hearing again, but Alice Cooper's version was, for me, on the Negative side of the 50-Yard Line, while Jane's was probably sitting right square on the line, being neither on the + nor the - side, but just sort of on the fence.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STMcC, thank you for making my prediction kind of come true: I thought there would be more saying they didn't like either version, but I figured I could count on you. But I hear you. As I said, I wouldn't rank this song high on a list of favorites so I don't know that anyone would do a cover that I truly liked.

      But the song did fit well with the theme of this post and it gave me a chance to use something by Jane Olivor who is a small part of the narrative of my life story.

      A half-hearted vote for Jane Olivor.

      Lee

      Delete
  12. I wish I could have heard the Alice Cooper one but the video 'not available' ... so I listened to the first one that we're not allowed to vote on so I can't - but interesting to know that it was a Chopin prelude. So, I have to vote on Jane Olivor, though it was overly schmaltzy ...

    No have never seen an Alice Cooper show ... don't think they've been here to SA.

    Good luck with your cover Arlee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan S, sorry--this was one of those hastily assembled Battles where I forgot to check regional restrictions.

      Alice Cooper is probably a uniquely American thing. I'm not sure how well he goes over in other countries or if he has even toured beyond U.S. borders.

      A vote for Jane Olivor.

      Lee

      Delete
  13. From my cousin Tom on Facebook comes another vote for...

    Alice Cooper.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi from the ex-pat Brit. I found Jane Olivor's version relaxing, but not my cuppa cha, mate.

    Would you believe that I'm a Brit that collected many of Alice Copper's records and still has them in my vinyl collection. I even got to see Alice Copper live. Blame my eclectic taste that ranges from Purcell and Glinks via the Doors and Lou Reed to Lzzy Hale and Rascal Flatts.

    Oh, nearly forgot - I prefer the Alice Copper version. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That classical dude should be Glinka...or rather Gluck as he's earlier. Anyway, I suspect I saw Alice Copper when I lived in Montreal - I agree that the act may never have toured the UK.

      Delete
    2. Roland, Alice Cooper seems like a mainly American phenomena but I'm sure his music reached all around the world. They did some excellent rock music. Your music sounds eclectic like mine. I like variety.

      A vote for Alice Cooper.

      Lee

      Delete
  15. Hi Lee, everyone has a tendency to pursue wild-seeming fantasies. No question mark needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen Tremp, a few wild fantasies help make life more exciting and provides us with stories to tell later in life.

      Lee

      Delete
  16. Sixgun McItchyfingerAugust 16, 2018 at 9:39 PM

    As you said in your intro, you guaranteed that someone would ignore your instructions. This time that's me.

    I can't stand either of these songs. The classical Chopin version is so infinitely better, it is like a San Francisco sidewalk vs. the solid gold throne on Trump's airplane(get it? huh, huh?), or a Ruth Chris' Filet Mignon vs. a frozen Swanson Salisbury Steak dinner. No comparison.

    I vote for Chopin... unless you just want to say I didn't vote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 Gun, I'd take Chopin's original over any version of this song, but as I get older I get a bit more maudlin over songs like this. I used to eat a lot of those frozen dinners when I was working--easier on the wallet than Ruth Chris.

      A vote for Chopin--for the record.

      Lee

      Delete
  17. Yeah, keep pressing onward. I keep knocking one thing off the To-do list, and three more crop up.

    The first BoB video wouldn't give me any sound. The second was okay, but yeah, bedtime melody. Alice Cooper FTW!

    I try not to dwell on past failures, but they do creep in now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J, always something to look ahead to is the way I like to think. Otherwise, nothing seems kind of like giving up on life.

      A vote for Alice Cooper.

      Lee

      Delete
  18. I put on Jane Olivor's cover of this song, and an hour later woke up. It lulled me to sleep. Thanks to you, I now know what to listen to on those nights where I'm having trouble falling asleep.

    Alice Cooper gets my vote here, not by default, but because I liked the arrangement of the song. I don't care for a lot of his music (though I think highly of him as a person), but this I liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, Jane's music is better for those peaceful times when you just want to relax. Or go to sleep.

      Another vote for Alice Cooper.

      Lee

      Delete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee