Here is my mission and I chose to accept it:
Quote your top ten most memorable lines from your favourite horror and science fiction movies. Do ten of each or make your top ten a mix of both. It’s up to you.I'm going to do a mix of ten. I'm terrible at remembering things like this so I'm going to have to think of some of the movies I really liked and see if I can Google some quotes. Ellie said I could do that and that's what made me sign up. Here are my lines:
"They're coming to get you, Barbara." Night of the Living Dead (1968) This one I was able to remember on my own. A favorite line I used to use to scare my kids.
2. "Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future."
Plan 9 From Outer Space (1958). This is only the first line. I can't quote the entire script here. It's full of great quotes. The film was directed by the great Ed Wood, the genius of mediocrity.
3. "Quick, get her to a doctor. And send the clowns in." Circus of Horrors (1960) Okay already, it's a circus movie for gosh sakes!
4. "It's people. Soylent Green is made out of people." Soylent Green (1973) No-o-o-o! Not that!
5. "Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!" Planet of the Apes (1968) Charlton Heston was such a badass in a whole string of science fiction films in the late 60s and early 70s.
6. Dr. Gavin: No - it's still alive. But it's changed into a - well, is it a plant or an animal?
Hank Green: It's both?
Dr. Gavin: It's a giant protozoa!
The Horror of Party Beach (1964) This movie is really bad. It's just an excuse to put a bunch of young people in bathing suits add in some motorcycle action and feature a surf rock band. The monster is ridiculous and so is the script.
7. "There's nothing like eating under the open sky... even if it is radioactive." Panic in the Year Zero! (1962) Ah yes, the all-American family having a picnic after nuclear destruction.
8. "I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going." 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) Now tell me, anyone who's seen this movie, don't you sometimes hear HAL's voice in your head? Or is it just me?
9. "They gave me an expandable sarong... Army ingenuity!" The Amazing Colossal Man (1957) After a certain point you just can't find things to wear in the big and tall department.
"I was continuing to shrink, to become... what? The infinitesimal? What was I? Still a human being? Or was I the man of the future? If there were other bursts of radiation, other clouds drifting across seas and continents, would other beings follow me into this vast new world? So close - the infinitesimal and the infinite. But suddenly, I knew they were really the two ends of the same concept. The unbelievably small and the unbelievably vast eventually meet - like the closing of a gigantic circle. I looked up, as if somehow I would grasp the heavens. The universe, worlds beyond number, God's silver tapestry spread across the night. And in that moment, I knew the answer to the riddle of the infinite. I had thought in terms of man's own limited dimension. I had presumed upon nature. That existence begins and ends in man's conception, not nature's. And I felt my body dwindling, melting, becoming nothing. My fears melted away. And in their place came acceptance. All this vast majesty of creation, it had to mean something. And then I meant something, too. Yes, smaller than the smallest, I meant something, too. To God, there is no zero. I still exist!" The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957). This is one of my all time favorite movie quotes from a movie I truly love. It's a long one, but as it was in the movie it's an appropriate quote to use in closing.
Have you seen any of these movies? Do you have a favorite line from a horror or science fiction movie?