This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Still Here on Saturday Today



          I fully intend to stop my Saturday posts like I had indicated a couple of weeks ago, but I received another award and I wanted to thank the blogger who honored me with this.  So since I'm here anyway, I thought I'd go ahead and make my official announcement about NaNoWriMo.



I do plan to participate in NaNoWriMo 2010!

           This will be my second year of participation.  I made it past the 50,000 word goal last year--in other words I "won"--and I plan to do the same this year.  I have no idea what I will be writing about this year.  My plan is to do the same as I did last year, which is come up with my story on November 1 (or possibly during the weekend prior) and just start writing. 

            I enjoyed the challenge that this method presented to me last year.  I will be jumping into the project cold and basically improvising as I go along--basically seat of the pants write as I go.  Sure, I'll start with a basic story and at some point start keeping a timeline so I don't lose track of the action.  Last year I wrote a sort of spiritually based crime story based on the book of Jonah.  This year I believe I will go for some kind of science fiction story, but who knows what will pop into my head when it's time to start.

             Good luck to all of you who are participating and I'm sure we'll be keeping track of one another's progress.  Incidentally, my NaNo name is "Wordleeness"--don't ask me why, but it's just what I came up with at the last moment last year and I can't change it now.  Feel free to link up with me as a writing buddy.

And now for another Versatile Blogger Award!

         I received The Versatile Blogger Award from Madeleine at Scribble and Edit.   I've gotten this a few other times, but I guess we bloggers can never be too versatile--so my utmost appreciation to you Madeleine.  I will play by the rules Madeleine passed on since they are not too demanding.

Award Rules:

1. Thank the person who gave you this award and provide a link to their blog


2. Share 7 things about yourself. (Not compulsory)


3. Pass the award along to 5 other bloggers whom you have recently discovered and whose blogs you think are fantastically versatile/ resourceful/functional/adaptable.


4. Contact those bloggers you’ve picked and let them know about their award.

Seven things about myself (as though I haven't talked about myself enough already in this blog):

1)  For my social studies project in the 6th grade I did a report on Chile.  I was thinking about this while watching the miners being rescued this week.  Then, while I was working on some of my Tossing It Out Tuesday clean up, I happened to run across this old report.

2)  I've kept a lot of my old schoolwork.

3)  When I was in the 6th grade I wrote a story about a bridge being build from the Ecuadorian mainland to the Galapagos Islands.

4)   When I was 46 years old I married a woman who was from Ecuador.

5)   I once had a friend who was a circus aerialist and who came from the country of Colombia in South America.

6)   Earlier this year I did an internet search for my friend from Colombia and discovered that he had died in the 1990s.  He had fallen while doing his circus act.  He was in his 50s at the time.

7)  The year before I started my solo show business career I had contemplated walking from Tennessee to California and then eventually to Peru to discover the mysteries of the Incas.  At the time I believed that the Incan society was founded by aliens from another planet.

           And now for some other versatile bloggers who are deserving of this award and I don't think have received it yet:

1.   Jules at Trying to Get Over the Rainbow--  She is a very versatile writer whom you should visit if you haven't been to her blog yet.

2.   Ruby at Blabbin' Grammy --- Ruby is such a fine lady and those who read her blog tend to become endeared to it.  She recently pulled up stakes from living for I don't know how long in East Tennessee and moved to Texas.  What an adventurer!

3.   Andrew Green at Who Wants Taters??? -- Now here's a different sort of movie review blog.  Andrew posts a story or essay that is usually very funny and then relates it to an equally funny movie review.  This is a very clever and unique approach and I think you might enjoy checking out his blog.

4.  Marguerite at Cajun Delights -- Actually she has received this award once, but I just wanted to spread the word about her wonderful blog for those of you who haven't visited it yet.  She blogs about life in the Louisiana bayou country and food.   And let me warn you right now:  If you go to this site hungry, prepare to head to the kitchen to start whipping up something to eat after you read her blog.   She has some of the best recipes.

5.  Dan at The Saga of the Concrete Jungle --  Since one of the purposes of "awards" is to call attention to blogs that deserve some attention, I periodically like to direct my readers to this blog.  Dan posts poems and song lyrics on Tuesdays and essays on Thursdays.  He is a very fine writer.  I encourage all of you to stop by his blog as much as you can and leave your comments.   He will not visit your blog because he has no internet access.   Dan is in prison and is unable to use the internet.  His sister posts his articles for him.  If you comment he will answer, although it will take a few weeks since he must correspond with his sister through the mail.  He would really appreciate having readers for what he writes and getting comments about what he is writing.   I hope you will consider at least taking a look his blog and at least saying hi to him.  

Have a great weekend and be back on Monday.

25 comments:

  1. Good luck with NaNoWriMo!
    I started following Dan a while back. Wish he had found himself before life interfered.He's so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your awards Lee, well deserved. Also congrats to the people you have passed it on to.
    Good to hear from you being a Saturday
    Have a lovely week-end.
    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your awards, Lee! Best of luck in your NaNo endeavors as well. That's a serious commitment and excellent goal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew you wouldn't be able to live without us on Saturdays :))
    I didn't know your wife was from Ecuador, that is so lovely and interesting. Have you been to her homeland ever? To Quito? I hear it's the highest capital city in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - those are some very interesting things about you! Kudos on the award, and good luck with Nano - you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your award. I like your NaNo name. Not sure I have the courage to force myself to participate...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best wishes for the NanoWriMo. I did it last year and pumped out 25,000 words. Have a great weekend.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool. I'm doing it this year as well. I will look you up. I'm under Clarissa Draper.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, Lee, apparently (apparentlee?) you are not a man of your word! Another Saturday post! Oh well, if this is the worst transgression you ever make, you're ahead of the game!

    Congrats on the award.

    Other people your photo resembles are Buck Dharma (from Blue Oyster Cult) and Kevin Kline.

    LC

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice Lee!

    I didn't get your buddy notice though. Let me know what your user name is and I'll invite you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the award and on deciding on NaNo. I've done NaNo the past two years, but I don't think I can do it this year. Too much on my plate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the award AND your participation in NaNo. I love that you're pantsing and can't wait to see what you churn out. Thanks for the links to to the 'new' blogs!

    ~that rebel, Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on the award and some fascinating info about you! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! And I think I follow all those people already. Cool!
    Glad you're doing NaNo - it needs more men!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A big round of thank yous to all the comments. Here are some replies to some specific questions:

    Dezmond -- I have yet to go to Ecuador and with the current political attitude down there I'm not in a hurry to go, but I'd like to. My wife is from Guyaquil, but she is now a U.S. citizen and loves the U.S. and so does her family, who are all here in the U.S. She's not particularly interested in going back to Ecuador, but we might visit one day.

    Clarissa -- I see that you are already listed in my writing buddies. I am listed as "Wordleeness".

    Larry -- I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but a lot of us guys looked similar back in that era.

    Misha -- I show you as one of my buddies, but I'm not on your list.

    Good luck to my fellow NaNo-ers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. woohoo!! Congrats!! Well, I guess I gotta tell you that Colombia is my native country :-) Now you can add this fact to your list! lol

    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your award Lee! Have fun with NaNoWriMo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the award - very interesting things about you! You do have a connection with South America.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you've enjoyed the award again!
    Lovely to hear your seven things and GODD LUCK with Nano. Have you decided on your theme/plot ? :O)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful Arlee! I will be looking forward to your story, I know that I will enjoy it. Congratulations on your awards! Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've added you as my writing buddie. This will be my first year for NaNo and it's very exciting. I'm signed in as LynFaw

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on the award!
    I will check out the links you mentioned...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just noticed that you live in Pico Rivera. I lived there when I was a kid, on Shade lane. I went to Alic M. Birney Elemetary (back in the day). Here's a link to that time...
    http://patricktillett.blogspot.com/2010/04/mona-lisa-gonzales.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Doris -- Another South American connection!

    Madeleine - No theme or plot yet, but ideas keep nudging me. It will come.

    Lynda --I've added you as well.

    Pat-- I will check that link. Birney school is still open as far as I know.


    Thanks to all the rest of the commenters and well wishers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on your much deserved award, Lee, and good luck with the NaNo. Merci beaucoup for the kind words and mention, and for passing the award along to me. I am honored and appreciate it more than you could know! Cheers, cher!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee