This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Taking the Right Path

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take. "
Jeremiah 31:21 (New International Version)

          Back in my college days many of my friends and I were unsure as to where we were going in life. We signed up for classes with no distinct plan in mind other than to avoid the draft and not be sent to Viet Nam. My days were often spent attending classes and getting by with the minimal amount of effort. Nights carried on late as we gathered in idleness with philosophical ruminations and foolish chatter.

          On one of those nights I proposed an idea. I asked my companions what if we were to walk out the door and begin walking into the night in a westerly direction and continue to walk in as straight of a course as we could possibly maintain. I enthusiastically began to attempt to convince them that we should do it at that moment with no further consideration. We laughed about the idea until the end of the evening when we departed company.

        The idea persisted in my mind into the following day as I imagined the adventure and the feeling of escape from the rut in which I had been stuck. However, as I dreamed on, the realities begin to take hold. On such an endeavor one would encounter many obstacles like private property, barricades, rivers, and mountains. I imagined myself in the dark of night crossing a cow pasture and becoming ensnarled in a barbed wire fence. I shook off the fantasy and realized I had been excited about an unrealistic pipedream.

         In the real world, others have already blazed most of the trails that we have the option of taking in life. On our life journeys there are usually clearly marked paths that we can follow. When there aren't we need to research how we are getting where we plan to go. Some of us fret and worry about an unknown future when we can rationally solve many of our apprehensions by reasoning and study. Fretting about the future at the expense of not getting anything done in the present is a waste of valuable time. An old proverb states, "Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday." You will be unprepared for the future if you do nothing about it today.

        Some of us are so lost in the hurts and regrets of the past that we have a difficult time coping with the future, let alone planning for the days ahead. Memories of past traumas can be painful, but they can be dealt with successfully. As difficult as it might be, if we truly want to progress in our lives, we must let go of whatever it is that holds us back. The journey can be difficult enough without carrying a lot of useless baggage.

        Unless you can find a good use for that baggage, it's going to get you nowhere. Some folks have found ways to capitalize on past sufferings by sharing in order to help others who might be facing the same difficulties, but not everyone can write a book or give speeches about what they've had to deal with in life. If those bad memories are just weighing down your thoughts and your ability to function normally, then you need to face them head on and insist upon their departure. You are in control if you take control.

         So you say you can't because you are too weak or the trauma has been too great? There are plenty of help books out there and many of them have useful information. However one book stands out more than all the others and that is the Holy Bible. Some may think it's too religious, it's too hard to understand, it's too boring, or too old fashioned. Have you honestly looked at it with an open mind and given it a chance?

         The Bible can work as a great life road guide, a solver of problems, and a comfort in rough times. Before you say that you don't need the Bible and that you will get professional help or you will help yourself and then, eventually, you will finally find happiness, think again. Have you found happiness yet? Roy M. Goodman said, "Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.".

…But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead.... (Philippians 3:13, NIV)

12 comments:

  1. I have read many seld help books in the past and they have been a tremendous help, oh I know this week has been a hell hole but I know that all will be well in the end and it's only at certain dates in the year that life gets a bit tedious but I think that everyone have days like that it. My life changed over a course of eight weeks 12 years ago and it took a while to accept it, once accepted I began to live again, but as those eight weeks approach each year I remember things that should be left in the past, sometimes it's easier than others.
    Whatever path we choose to take it is our own personel decision whether it be the right or wrong path......if wrong well we'll have to turn the corner and take the next path.

    Have a lovley day.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so true!

    When it comes to the less than nice stuff that happened to me in my short life, I have thought back and... Not one of those things failed to bring value to who I am.

    I have learned lessons. I have grown strong. I have discovered that I can overcome almost anything thrown my way.
    If my life was just about roses and sunlight, I would never have learned anything.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you about the Bible Arlee. When I find myself just feeling a little low, all I have to do is read a bit of the Bible to receive a bit of comfort.
    I have learned long ago to let go of the past. That is a road that leads to nowhere.
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said!

    I agree with this, and admit that when I really started to look at the bible, the every day applicability just blew my mind. There really is nothing new in this world in terms of human suffering and knowing that God knows it all and suffered through a lot of it Himself, what better qualified person can you possibly find?

    Really great post, just put a light back in what's been a dark day, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Opting for a light baggage... that has been an important decision in my life and in overcoming rough times. And I am talking of both, real baggage, and life baggage. I've found courage in my faith and trust in God... 'cause it's not an easy decision.

    Wonderful post!
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've learned to dump what little baggage I carried.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know there's different definitions of happiness -- happiness is eating good quality chocolate and savouring the flavours; happiness is the smile of a loved one; happiness is stress management. All these things that make us "happy" are fleeting. The bible however offers us the kind of happiness that doesn't pass away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The book that saved me was Isaiah.

    Nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by my blog. Now following and looking forward to getting to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. >> Have you honestly looked at it with an open mind ...?

    Have you?

    ~ D-FensDogg

    ReplyDelete
  10. My thanks to all for visiting this post and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alex said-

    >I've learned to dump what little
    >baggage I carried.

    I fly Southwest, so I was able to check mine.

    Obviously we need to keep the destination in mind, but I also believe that the point of life is to enjoy the trip.

    If the whole point of the crucifixion was to forgive our sins, doesn't it hold that God wants us to shed baggage and not sweat the small stuff?

    Enjoying life and living a life worthy of the Sacrifice are not mutually exclusive.

    Life is meant to be enjoyed. So enjoy it.

    LC

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee