This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Expectations

And now, O Israel, what does the Lord your God ask of you but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways, to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to observe the Lord's commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good?
Deuteronomy 10:12-13, NIV

         In this time when many are unemployed and others fear their job security, it still doesn't hurt to think about our jobs.  When you are working for someone they have expectations about what you are supposed to be doing in your job.  In some cases you might be provided a specific job description that includes tasks that you are expected to perform and responsibilities that might fall into your hands.  Your employer may rate how you do and give periodic assessments and job reviews.  You may be rewarded for good performance and you might lose your job if you are not doing what you were hired to do.

         Fortunately, God is not going to fire us.   But I think it is important to do a self-evaluation--have you really accepted the job that God has offered you.  To be a servant of God his followers have been given a job description that is clearly stated in Deuteronomy 10:12-13.  Further study explains the decrees that God wants us to follow.  When we move to the New Testament, the New Law under Jesus Christ is revealed to us.  We should study all of the laws because they were given for a reason.

         The most important parts of this job description remain for each of us.   Examine your life and see if you are honoring and loving God as you should, if you are walking in His ways, and serving and obeying him. If you are not then He is not number one in your life.  Strive to be God's best servant.


If you love me, you will obey what I command.
John 14:15 (NIV)

9 comments:

  1. Excellent post Lee, most inspirational on this Sunday morning,

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to do just that Arlee. It isn't always easy is it? Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Great exhortation and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sometimes fall short, but since I'm saved, God doesn't fire me. Lucky for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the great post and inspiration, Arlee! No job can ever be more important or more rewarding than working for God!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always liked this scripture. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting and for your words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made God my priority when one day I understood that He was my support. That I was to serve Him through my life and my work. That everything may fail, or loved ones can go away... but only God remains there with me, in good and bad times. Extending His loving arms.

    Thanks for your encouragement.
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doris -- You have expressed this well.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee