This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

X Files

          I cannot imagine that I'll be the only one to choose The X Files as the topic for the letter X -- it seems like a natural.    Except I don't think I ever watched more than one or two episodes of the show and I don't really remember them.  I also went to see the first X Files movie (there were two weren't there?)--not because of I was a fan, but because a friend told me I should see the movie and now I don't remember why and I don't really remember the movie.  All I know is that for a while The X Files was a very popular show.

         Instead of the show or the movie I am posting about a collection of music inspired by The X Files on an album called "Songs in the Key of X".   This album was released in 1996, but I did not discover it until 2009 and I was quite surprised by how good it was.  In fact I was so impressed that I posted the following review on Amazon:

One star less would have made it a 5 star album, July 18, 2009

By Arlee Bird
This review is from: Songs In The Key Of X: Music From And Inspired By The X-Files (Audio CD)


This album seemed like the risen dead for me. I found it among some of my son's old CD's that he left with me. Since most of his albums were obnoxious rap albums I had discarded in yard sales I had thought that this one was more of the same, especially with the explicit lyric label. But then I looked at it the other day and realized what it was and it has been on my CD player ever since. The negative here is "Star me Kitten" by William S. Burrough & R.E.M. with it's unnecessary use of the f*** word -- the track is somewhat interesting until it reaches the repeated obscenity, then that's when it lost one star for me and probably a lot of sales when it was first released. Otherwise, some really good stuff here. Meat Puppets does it for me. There is a lovely song by Sheryl Crow. Great tunes by Filter, Frank Black, Foo Fighters, and Nick Cave. And the rest of the album shines for the most part. I am not too enthralled by the Rob Zombie/Alice Cooper collaboration--it doesn't seem to fit in with the other songs too well, but I can deal with that. Bottom line: I love this album. Now if I could only get rid that stupid "Star" song this would be a 5 star review. But what the heck, I'm probably going to wear this CD out.

           Having gone back and listened to the album again since posting the above review, I would be almost tempted to nudge it closer to five stars.  It is a fine album.   The CD is now out of print and probably not easily found new.  I hope my copy holds up.

            Speaking of albums that we enjoy, we are going have a conglomerate blog post on Monday May 17th concerning your fifteen favorite albums.  If you like music, I hope you will join up with us.  Just think of your fifteen favorite albums and tell us about them.  Pictures of the album covers are nice, but not necessary.  Give us the album details--artist, type of music, date of release, and any other information--and then tell us what makes the album so good in your opinion.  Can't think of fifteen?  That's okay--your top three or your top ten will work if that's what you want to do.  It's your creative entry in the Fifteen Fantasy Island Favorites.  A Linky will be posted on this blog on May 15th and it will have the "Blog Hop" feature that will allow you to post the same Linky on your site as well.  Hope you'll join us!

            And don't forget that next Monday will be the May 3rd A to Z Challenge Reflections Post.  The Linky Tool will be open at 12:01 AM May 2nd for you to post your Reflection.  Everyone is welcome to post whether you participated in A to Z or not-- we want to know what everyone thinks.

25 comments:

  1. I almost grabbed the X-Files for my "X",
    but I never really saw the movie, either.
    The CD sounds grest, though. Anxious to read your music compilation in May!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a fan of the show and almost selected it for today - went with X-Men instead. Never got the album, but I will warn you to avoid the second movie. Not good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fine "X" letter blog Lee, I read with interest about the album you reviewed, sad to say many a good album has the F word in which kind of spoils what would have been a perfectly acceptable album

    Thanks for your detailed message yesterday, although I can name easily 15 albums ubfortunately my blogger only allows 5 photo's so will do the best I can.
    I will take you up on the offer about having tuition on the link
    as I know you won't believe me I am
    THICK about pcs, My son would testify to that as he set up my music for me and I thinl he quietly despair of me at times.lol

    Take care.
    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, already compiling my list of 15 albums....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rae---Hope you will contribute a favorite album list as well.

    Alex -- I'd heard the 2nd one was not good, and since I don't remember the first the 2nd hasn't been on my must see list.

    Yvonne -- I wonder why you could only put 5 pics? I'll bet there is a way around that. I'll put up some kind of instructional help maybe next week -- maybe I'll learn more by then as well. We don't want to miss your list!

    Anything --- Great! I'm excited about discovering some music that is new to me and also hearing new things about albums I have heard about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hard of the X-files when I was a little boy, I never watched it nor seen it. I didnt think of that for the letter x... That was the hardest letter for me until I started playing my X-Box and it all fell into play.
    Juan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to love watching the X-files..but I did not choose that for my X word....Sounds like a great album but I probably won't run out looking for it, also it would probably be hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YVONNE & rLEE-b ~
    The difficulty that Yvonne is probably running into is that the system will only allow you to post 5 photos AT ONE TIME. But follow the steps necessary, post the five photos into the "composition window", and you'll find that now you are able to post 5 more. As far as I can tell, it's possible to post as many photos as a person wishes on one Blog Bit, but it can't be done in sets of more than 5 at a time.

    ~ Stephen
    "As a dog returns to his own vomit,
    so a fool repeats his folly."
    ~ Proverbs 26:11

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not yet seen another Xfiles post, but Xenophobe was repeated in 2 blogs--funny huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish I had found your blog sooner. This A to Z thing sounds like fun. I'm already putting together my list of 15 albums. However, in doing so, I realize I am a really strange person...not that it surprises me, but it makes me realize my taste in music is as abstract as I am.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Juan -- X Box is a natural for your generation

    Shannon -- the album would take some searching I am sure.

    Stephen -- Well there, I didn't know you could do 5 at a time--I've always just did each picture one at a time. It works, but probably takes longer-- fine tutorial I'll put up. I never said I was a technical expert or even close.

    Cheri -- Xenophobia was my first choice. Seems relevant with current happenings in the news, although I'm not sure that has much to do with xenophobia.

    WC-- Thank you for checking in. Sometimes the stranger the better. Who wants predictable. Then again with the blogger assemblage we have who can predict anything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too never saw an episode of X-Men and believe it or not have had touched or had an X-Box either.

    I did enjoy the review of your alblum. F words sure mess up many a good song.

    Hank Williams Jr, has a great song that I think he might have written toward his good friend and singing buddy Kid Rock - It is called The "F" Word. The chorus goes:

    No, no in country music you just don't use the F word
    We've come a long way but its best if than one's not heard
    Oh, we've had some hells and dammns,
    but we never say b***h, we say why yes maam
    Cause in country music we dont use the F word

    Very clever song.

    Looking forward to May 3rd.

    I also hope I can make the time to have my Desert Island CD collection by then. Sounds fun.

    Thanks for your hard work and what you did to make this challenge even more fun than it could have been. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great X choice. I love the X-files series!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, I do love me some X-Files. It is one of my top ten favorite shows!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Lee, I am an X-Files junkie! Watched every episode. Purchased several on DVD and laserdisc. (Remember those?!) We didn't get the soundtrack - not my style of music. But loved the show.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gregg--Thanks for all your great contributions to the Challenge and look forward to your May 3rd post. I'll be very interested in your desert island discs. Oh and those Hank lyrics are pretty fine.

    Marvin -- I'm surprised there weren't more fans that posted about X Files

    Palindrome -- did you ever hear the album?

    Diane --gosh you were a big fan! And actually the music on the "Key of X" album may have been more to your liking than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to LOVE the X files. It was great in the first few seasons and I did see the movie. My love for it sort of fizzled after a while though. The album sounds interesting too, but I have never heard of it before now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never saw a single episode of the X-Files. Doesn't sound like I missed much.

    The album does sound interesting. I actually really like rap music, but not gangsta rap. And only if the lyrics aren't explicit. Believe it or not, there is some out there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lee,
    I am going to check out Netflix for the movie, haven't seen it! I am still thinking about the Fifteen
    Fantasy, I may give it ago...let me get to Z, then I'll decide! Today, was hard, worst letter for me! I would of done the beginning different, but I need to catch up to all of you; Glad I did~

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will have to think on lots of this. Because of you, I've posted a whole lot more than I ever thought I would. My bit of excitement is getting back in here and seeing if anyone has commented on any of my posts. Thanks to all that have. At least what I'm saying isn't ignored.

    15 favorite albums.hmmm. I'll have to give it some thought, considering all the great music out there. Some of my faves some of you may have never heard of. I'll have to get back to you on that one.

    Great post.

    Be blessed. Be a blessing.
    DJ GlenMC

    ReplyDelete
  21. Marjorie -- I guess it got kind of old for a lot of people.

    Lisa -- There has been some rap that I have appreciated, but a lot gets pretty repititious.

    Ellie -- yes! do the fantasy fifteen. It'll be a breeze after A to Z and you can tell us about the music you like.

    Glen -- 15 favorite albums sounds like it's your kind of thing. I want to hear about yours and see if you'll stump me on any.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Personaly I realy like ethnic music especialy the marimba from places like Mali or the xylaphone (please excuse the spelling) from china otherwise most of the music I listen to is christian in content. I like your blog, it makes for interesting reading.

    ReplyDelete
  23. 21 comments wow, I am happy when I get 7 LOL but I loved the Zfiles of course the story was fun, and I was and am not a huge science fiction fan, and I liked the actor David.
    I am hoping to do a number or music challenge after your A-Z challenge if you want to join me this time LOL

    ReplyDelete
  24. Geoff -- sounds like you should participate in the May 17th favorite albums post -- you'd probably have some very unusual entries.

    Wasabi -- Please do join us with the music post on May 17. We definitely would like your input.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was so sad when that television program ended. It was one of my favorites. And I would have written about it too, had I not come up with this one: The X Factor With Simon Cowell:
    http://myheartblogstoyou.blogspot.com/2011/04/x-factor-with-simon-cowell.html

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee