This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Opening Ourselves for the Holy Spirit

 So he said to me, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty.
Zechariah 4:6 (NIV)
 
          Zerubbabel led a large number of Jews who had been enslaved in Babylon back to Jerusalem.  He was given the monumental task to rebuild the Temple.  An angelic spokesman from God assured Zerubbabel that he would not be left to his own powers to undertake this task, but he would be guided by the Spirit of God Almighty.  In each of our lives the Holy Spirit is available to take us through difficult times when we trust and believe.

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
Acts 1:8 (NIV)

      Likewise, the early Christians were infused with the power of the Holy Spirit as they set out to build the church which is the body of Christ.   A few days after Jesus spoke these words those followers of Jesus in Jerusalem were baptized in the Holy Spirit and sent out on the mission which continues to be the commission of Christians to this day.  The Holy Spirit gives Christians a power and a comfort which helps them do the job that has been handed to them.

Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.
Ephesians 5:18 (NIV)

            We, as Christians, are not to be distracted by the worldly pleasures and diversions that will take our minds off of our directed mission.  Wine partaken to excess can weaken our resistance to sinfulness.  However, this might be said for any worldly pursuits which are distractions from God.  When we are on an continual quest for earthly pleasures and surfeit, then we are so filled with ourselves that there is no room for the Holy Spirit.  We must keep our temple clean so God's Spirit can dwell within.

Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.
Galatians 5:24 (NIV)

        When we are filled with the Spirit, we belong to Jesus Christ.  We want more and more of Jesus.  The world is merely a place in the present time.  God's Kingdom is eternal.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
Matthew 5:6 (NIV)

          When we sincerely seek God and open ourselves to the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, we will be filled with that Spirit.  We must study, pray, meditate, and live like we mean it when we declare we are Christians.  We must be ready to be filled.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:9 (NIV)

       Above all, we must clean house.  Acknowledging our sin is the first step in being filled with the Spirit.  If we don't recognize our sins then we will keep doing those things that separate us from God.  It is so important to understand why Jesus suffered and died for us so we can get the full impact of what his resurrection really means to each of us. 

16 comments:

  1. A wonderful, though inspiring post. I hope many will read these words of wisdom....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Lee a very inspirational blog,

    Take care.
    Have a happy peaceful Sunday.

    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful words here Lee! Thank you for the inspiration and reminding us of the power of God's spoken Word to us!

    Have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post hit right where I needed some inspiration. I am going to print it and add it to my collection of Bible verses on the Holy Spirit. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good post. Full of good biblical truth. I appreciated reading this post - biblically correct. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can think of a lot of worldly pursuits that are as potent as wine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good one, Lee. Thank God that He let us a helper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed reading this well written message. God bless, Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  9. in agreement with all that's above. am thinking now that i'm going to enjoy cyber Sunday's. will be back later to read again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart is overflowing with gratitude to God. You couldn't have known that I needed this post today, that it was directed right to where I am!!! But that's how our God works, isn't it? What a blessing, what a Saviour.

    I used the first verse on this post as my 'verse of the day'. I write out a verse everyday on a 3X5 card and when I saw it, I knew right away it was my verse for today.

    Thank you friend for being His vessel!

    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad each of you were able to stop by for my Sunday post and that it was a blessing to you-- with the Word of God how could it not be a blessing?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love and appreciate your thoughts on and interpretation of The Word. Excellent post on spiritual matters, my favorite subject, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lee,

    Thanks for a great Sunday afternoon Bible study.
    The power of the indwelling Holy Spirit in the believers life is often misunderstood in today's church. You did a very good job of explaining what the Bible teaches on the subject.

    Thank you, Ron

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amen. Wonderful and uplifting post and so true. We must give our all so that God can give His all

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee